[Mimedefang] [OT?] Random Word Spam

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Thu Feb 9 13:41:56 EST 2012

Michael wrote on 02/09/2012 12:20:46 PM:

> We had a compromised account doing this last weekend!  CanIt caught a
> few of the outgoing messages, and I soon blocked the account.  The email

> were initially all going to a single gmail and a single ebay account.
> Later messages (all blocked) branched out to hotmail, and a few others.
>
> No idea what is up with this?  I am curious, is there a reason the
> customer might be harassed in this way?

I suspect that the customer wasn't being harassed per se.  My experience
as recipient from several hacked accounts has been that some compromised
accounts are only used to send to contacts in the address book.  Perhaps
this user only had the two entries.  Of course they can also send to
external lists of addresses as you've seen.

Having the user change their password is usually enough to shut down the
abuse.

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.