[Mimedefang] [OT?] Random Word Spam

Michael D. Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Thu Feb 9 12:20:46 EST 2012

Richard Laager wrote:
> We've got a customer who is receiving 1 message per second! that
> consists solely of random English words stuck together (both subject and
> body). This has been happening for 24-36 hours.
>
> As far as I can see, it's coming from hijacked accounts all over the
> place (hundreds or thousands of servers) with varying sender addresses.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this sort of thing?

We had a compromised account doing this last weekend!  CanIt caught a
few of the outgoing messages, and I soon blocked the account.  The email
were initially all going to a single gmail and a single ebay account.
Later messages (all blocked) branched out to hotmail, and a few others.

No idea what is up with this?  I am curious, is there a reason the
customer might be harassed in this way?

Mike

Michael D. Sofka               sofkam at rpi.edu
C&MT Sr. Systems Programmer,   Email, HPC, TeX, Epistemology
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.  http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/