[Mimedefang] The .local TLD (was Re: Mail Admin Qu...)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Aug 17 15:35:37 EDT 2012

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 15:27:37 -0400
"Kevin A. McGrail" <KMcGrail at pccc.com> wrote:

> I consider .local to be officially grandfathered as an internal-use
> TLD akin to non routing IPv4 space like 192.168.X and 10.X albeit not
> as based in standards.

This is interesting reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.local

"Despite not being a valid top-level domain in the Internet,
considerable DNS traffic that queries the local domain exists in the
public Domain Name System. In June 2009, the L root server received
more than 400 such queries per second,[2] ranking 4th in DNS traffic
of all TLDs after COM, ARPA, and NET."

RFC 1918 addresses don't typically leak out onto the Internet, so
they don't cause much damage outside an organization.  .local clearly does.