[Mimedefang] Mail Admin Question

Kevin A. McGrail KMcGrail at PCCC.com
Fri Aug 17 15:27:37 EDT 2012

On 8/17/2012 2:58 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 14:08:34 -0400 "Kevin A. McGrail"
>> <KMcGrail at pccc.com> wrote:
>>
>>> A) Microsoft's Active Directory Domains pre-date the general concept
>>> of Internet Domains.
>
> Not possible.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Directory
Actually, I'm talking for the general public and using AD to encompass
the non-internet domain aspects that go back as far as NT 3.51.  That
pushes it back to 1994 or thereabouts.

Microsoft was using terminology like a "Domain Controller" and then just
sort of lumped in Internet stuff and didn't really differentiate the
two.  It leads to a lot of confusion even today.

I consider .local to be officially grandfathered as an internal-use TLD
akin to non routing IPv4 space like 192.168.X and 10.X albeit not as
based in standards.

Regards,
KAM