[Mimedefang] Postfix and Mimedefang

Stefan Schoeman stefan at internext.co.za
Wed Apr 4 19:04:18 EDT 2012

What worked for me under Ubuntu 10.04 was to let Mimedefang run as the
postfix user (change MX_USER=postfix in /etc/default/mimedefang or
/etc/init.d/mimedefang) and to change ownership on /var/spool/MIMEDefang
to postfix.defang and mode 750. I read somewhere that you should also
not run postfix in a chroot jail, i.e edit /etc/postfix/master.cf and
somewhere near the top, make it look as follows: (note the n in the
chroot column)

# ==========================================================================
# service type  private unpriv  chroot  wakeup  maxproc command + args
#               (yes)   (yes)   (yes)   (never) (100)
# ==========================================================================
smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd

My main.cf then just contained the extra:

smtpd_milters = unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock

although I guess adding the

milter_default_action = tempfail
milter_protocol = 6

Would be even better (I've never checked what happens if I make a typo
in /etc/mail/mimedefang)

Hope that helps ?

Stefan