[Mimedefang] Does MIMEdefang 'remember' variable values between successive invocations?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Sep 6 16:51:25 EDT 2011

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 22:45:20 +0200
"Rolf E. Sonneveld" <R.E.Sonneveld at sonnection.nl> wrote:

> If this is as designed, then what is the best way to reset/undefine
> these variables? Is it just: redefine with empty string?

It's best not to use too many global variable.  (I know that's a funny
statement coming from the author of MIMEDefang, but hey... everyone makes
youthful mistakes...)

If you must use global variables, I recommend defining a function
like this:

use vars qw($GlobalVar1 $GlobalVar2); #etc

sub init_global_variables
{
	$GlobalVar1 = undef;
	$GlobalVar2 = undef;
}

Instead of "undef", use whatever initial value makes sense.  In fact,
MIMEDefang has an internal "init_globals" function that does something
like this.

Then be sure to call init_global_variables where appropriate.