[Mimedefang] Does MIMEdefang 'remember' variable values between successive invocations?

Rolf E. Sonneveld R.E.Sonneveld at sonnection.nl
Tue Sep 6 16:45:20 EDT 2011

On 9/6/11 9:16 PM, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 15:13:36 -0400
> Joseph Brennan<brennan at columbia.edu>  wrote:
>
> [Kevin A. McGrail]
>>>          1      filter_relay
>>>          2      filter_sender
>>>          3      filter_recipient
>>>          4      filter_begin, filter, filter_multipart, filter_end
>> Group 4 would all be the same perl process for any one message. You
>> can set a global in filter_begin() and use it in filter().
> Yes... I guess the manual could be clearer.  I'll write a paragraph about
> how different functions can be called in different processes.

I forgot to mention the variables are read from the config file during
filter_begin. So as expected these variables are available in filter,
filter_multipart and filter_end. That works fine, that's not what my
question was about.

I _don't_ want to maintain state between successive messages: I would
like to start each message with undefined variables. So I don't expect a
variable to be present, instead I do expect a variable to be _not_
present (better said: to be undefined). But experimenting with adding
and removing variables in the config file I noticed the following: when
I change the config file between successive runs and I remove a variable
from the config file (without rereading/restarting MIMEdefang), that
same variable with old value (from previous message run) is still
present, instead of being undefined.

If this is as designed, then what is the best way to reset/undefine
these variables? Is it just: redefine with empty string?

Thanks to everyone who responded to my message.

/rolf