[Mimedefang] invoking mimedefang milter multiple times?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Feb 23 15:12:28 EST 2011

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 14:15:17 -0500
James Ralston <qralston+ml.mimedefang at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> David, do you have any opinion on this?  Would you be willing to
> accept patches in order to enable mimedefang to be invoked as a milter
> multiple times?  Or are you in the "just run another instance of
> mimedefang" camp?

I'm not too enthusiastic about this.  I really can't see the use-case
for multiple milters.  It seems to me it's easier and more flexible
to do everything (greylisting, DKIM verification, etc.) in Perl.  It
gives you one place to write policy.  The "next generation" Sendmail
(MeTA1) makes it official: It only support one pmilter and says you
need a multiplexor on your end to support multiple pmilters.  [I'm not
sure that MeTA1 will ever see the light of day as production software...]

Nevertheless, if the patches are not too intrusive, I'll consider them.