[Mimedefang] Differentiating multiple sendmail instances

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Oct 11 16:20:42 EDT 2010

  On 10/11/10 11:01 AM, kd6lvw at yahoo.com wrote:
> --- On Mon, 10/11/10, Philip Prindeville<philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com>  wrote:
>>   Ok, so I have the following scenario:
>>
>> (1) I'm running a sendmail in "local submission mode" and
>> another as a "relay" (587 and 25), respectively.
>>
>> (2) I'm behind a NATting port-forwarding firewall, and
>> based on various criteria I'll port-forward to different
>> instances of sendmail all running on one host (i.e. one
>> instance with its own config on 2500, another instance with
>> its own config on 2501, etc.... up to 2549).
>>
>> I need in both cases to be able to have Mimedefang
>> differentiate which instance of Sendmail is invoking it, and
>> apply certain tests conditionally.  And I need to be
>> able to do it starting with filter_relay().
>>
>> How do I do this?
> You obviously were not paying attention.  I stated earlier (October 6):
>
> "{daemon_name} is passed and implies the destination port."
>
> Typical values are "MTA" and "MSA" and actual values depend on your precise sendmail configuration.  This means that anyone can tell the difference between "relay" and "submission" modes.

Should I restate my question?

If I have several instances in scenario (2) then they all need to be given unique names?  That's a bit heavy-handed as a work-around.  The shortcoming is in Mimedefang, not Sendmail.

So I'd need to modify the config files because I can't easily generate them with the .mc templates.