[Mimedefang] Differentiating multiple sendmail instances

kd6lvw at yahoo.com kd6lvw at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 11 14:01:38 EDT 2010

--- On Mon, 10/11/10, Philip Prindeville <philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com> wrote:
>  Ok, so I have the following scenario:
>
> (1) I'm running a sendmail in "local submission mode" and
> another as a "relay" (587 and 25), respectively.
>
> (2) I'm behind a NATting port-forwarding firewall, and
> based on various criteria I'll port-forward to different
> instances of sendmail all running on one host (i.e. one
> instance with its own config on 2500, another instance with
> its own config on 2501, etc.... up to 2549).
>
> I need in both cases to be able to have Mimedefang
> differentiate which instance of Sendmail is invoking it, and
> apply certain tests conditionally.  And I need to be
> able to do it starting with filter_relay().
>
> How do I do this?

You obviously were not paying attention.  I stated earlier (October 6):

"{daemon_name} is passed and implies the destination port."

Typical values are "MTA" and "MSA" and actual values depend on your precise sendmail configuration.  This means that anyone can tell the difference between "relay" and "submission" modes.