[Mimedefang] patches/support of off-server clamd implimentation? (fwd)

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon May 31 17:54:36 EDT 2010

On 5/24/10 7:41 AM, David F. Skoll wrote:
> John Nemeth wrote:
>

>>       Perl 5.8 is ancient.  It was released in July 2002.  CPAN says
>> that versions prior to 5.8 are unsupported.  Most people are using 5.10
>> which was released in December 2007.
>>
> Indeed.  The next release of MIMEDefang will make this explicit and
> refuse to run on Perl<  5.8.  The current version probably does not run
> properly on Perl<  5.8 anyway.
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

I just released Net::Patricia-1.17_03 last week, and had to draw the
line at Perl 5.010 (but that has more to do with the fact that
version.pm was missing from Perl 5.009)...

But yeah, I wouldn't count on things to run with a Perl any older than 5.10.

5.10 also changed the way that IO::Handles are implemented, the internal
buffering model, etc... a lot of stuff had to be rewritten for 5.10.
Which means that backporting fixes is a major hassle.