[Mimedefang] mimedefang and milter-ahead

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Fri Jun 18 21:38:13 EDT 2010

On Nov 8, 12:11pm, George Roberts wrote:
}
} Because it just isn't full-featured enough for what we need.
} milter-ahead caches both good and bad senders to reduce the amount of
} lookups on the recipient servers.  It also uses the built-in sendmail
} mailertable for its lookups, so we don't have to do any additional
} configuration for it above and beyond what we already do for the
} domains we support.

     You can do anything in MIMEDefang that you can figure out how to
program (or pay someone to program for you); it doesn't have any
inherent limitations.

} We handle mail for over 50,000 domains going to 800+ different mail servers. :)
} If I have to, I'll just modify the source for milter-ahead to do the
} statistics reporting.  I'm trying to avoid that if I can, since our
} other stats reporting is done within mimedefang and I'd prefer to
} keep it all in one place if I can.

     Anyways, your problem has to do with the milter API.  It is
defined that as soon as any milter rejects a message, processing
stops.  There is nothing that can be done about this on the MIMEDefang
side.

     BTW, your MUA is severely broken.  It doesn't know how to wrap
lines properly.  That is extremely annoying.  It also doesn't do
replies properly.  Top posting is extremely bad form, and generally not
appreciated on technical lists.