[Mimedefang] mimedefang and milter-ahead

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Jun 18 21:34:55 EDT 2010

George Roberts wrote:

> Because it just isn't full-featured enough for what we need.

Well... not out of the box.  But it's easy to implement caching (we
did that with our commercial CanIt product; we use memcached to do the
caching) and I'm pretty sure someone posted code on this list a while
back to use mailertable for the lookups.  It should be pretty easy;
mailertable is typically just a Berkeley DB and there's good Perl
support for reading Berkeley DB files.

I guess you need to weigh the development effort of reimplementing
milter-ahead features in Perl vs. implementing your logging in
C and pick whichever is easier.

(We actually had to disable caching on our Hosted CanIt system; it
seems that some of the back-end servers that are not under our control
base the RCPT response on the MAIL FROM address, so we ended up caching
incorrect values.  If you control all the back-end servers, this won't
be a problem.)