[Mimedefang] action_bounce html mail

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Jul 13 17:36:08 EDT 2010

tonj wrote:

> actually I do want to reject any mail that contains html, including
> text/html mix.. I've found that every spam that gets through the spam
> filter contains a mix of text with corresponding html part. I would
> rather try across-the-board html rejection and then whitelist in the
> ones allowed.

The fact that most spam messages contain HTML doesn't imply that most
HTML messages are spam.  You will have many, many false-positives.

(I ban HTML mail on this list, whose members are a highly
self-selecting group of people who understand (or have strong opinions
about) email.  Yet on a regular basis, people still run afoul of the
HTML filter.)

Most of the spam messages I receive contain the letter "e".  Perhaps
I should ban messages containing "e"?  (Gadsby would like that.)

More worrying: About 90% of mass murderers eat tomatoes.  Next time
someone orders a tomato, you'd better back away...