[Mimedefang] action_bounce html mail

- kd6lvw at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 15:10:19 EDT 2010

--- On Tue, 7/13/10, Joseph Brennan <brennan at columbia.edu> wrote:
> tonj <tonj at freeuk.com> wrote:
>
> > sub filter_begin
>
> Try it in filter, as I suggested, not filter_begin.

Bad advice.  That would reject mail that has an html part (i.e. multipart/alternative), which is NOT the same as an html-only mail.  Should multipart/alternative have a text/plain part, it should pass (at least that part) through (other spammy-reasons notwithstanding).

Rejecting based on overall non-multipart message content type is better done in the MTA itself. (With sendmail, use a header ruleset.  I posted such to this list in the past week [all to sendmail.mc, to answer "tonj"].  If you use a different MTA, then it's up to you to figure out the equivalent.)

> tonj <tonj at freeuk.com> wrote:
>   if ($hits >= 5) {

You should not hardcode the level in the filter.  It is better to use:

    if ($hits >= $rej) {

especially in the event that you later adjust your spam threshold in the SpamAssassin configuration file.

For our author:  Consider putting RPS-Mail-EventReporter on CPAN please.