[Mimedefang] GMail (was Re: stripping Received headers based on authentication)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 17:55:59 EST 2010

On 2/17/2010 3:59 PM, David F. Skoll wrote:

> The RFC defines a gateway as this:
>
>     A "gateway" SMTP system (usually referred to just as a "gateway")
>     receives mail from a client system in one transport environment and
>     transmits it to a server system in another transport environment.
>
> Unfortunately, a "transport environment" is not defined by the RFC.
>
> I consider submission via HTTP to be sending mail over a transport
> environment.  I think it's a reasonable interpretation, but alas... the
> RFC doesn't say.

We are obviously not going to agree here but a few more data points:
using the OWA interface (outlook web access) to an exchange server does
not add a Received: header for the browser client IP.  Likewise when
sending from outlook 2003 or 2007 (much more believable as mail clients)
through exchange, the first Received: header is the server's.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com