[Mimedefang] GMail (was Re: stripping Received headers based on authentication)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Feb 17 16:59:50 EST 2010

Les Mikesell wrote:

> It is not a non-internet mail system running inside my browser - which
> is what the RFC covers.

The RFC defines a gateway as this:

   A "gateway" SMTP system (usually referred to just as a "gateway")
   receives mail from a client system in one transport environment and
   transmits it to a server system in another transport environment.

Unfortunately, a "transport environment" is not defined by the RFC.

I consider submission via HTTP to be sending mail over a transport
environment.  I think it's a reasonable interpretation, but alas... the
RFC doesn't say.

[...]

> OK, but that is unrelated to the RFC - and a matter of opinion since it
> is really a remote display from the administrative domain where the mail
> originates.  Anyway, I don't like web mail interfaces and almost never
> use it to access gmail.  How do you process mail that came through a
> gmail account from a user interface that submits via SMTP where the
> appropriate Received: line is added (coming from thunderbird, I see both
> my private and NATted address in there)?  If you drop that, who is doing
> the evil and unjustified thing?

Gmail has made its own bed.  I can't trust anything coming from Gmail, so I
reject it.

Anyway... I guess this is a religious issue.  I know I'm right, just as
I know that emacs is the ultimate text editor. :)