[Mimedefang] stripping Received headers based on authentication

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed Feb 17 09:08:45 EST 2010

Tom H <tom at limepepper.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've heard some suggestions not to do this, but I plan along with gmail
> and some others to do it anyway... ;-)
>
> I would like to strip off any headers for my connection to my own smtp
> server, which are authenticated.

RFC 2821

4.4 Trace Information

   When an SMTP server receives a message for delivery or further
   processing, it MUST insert trace ("time stamp" or "Received")
   information at the beginning of the message content, as discussed in
   section 4.1.1.4.

Some systems have filter rules that expect to see at least one Received
header in incoming mail when the message claims to have been sent with
Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.  They expect this because the standard says
you MUST insert such a header.  Your mail may be rejected or routed to
a spam quarantine.

Gmail inserts Received headers according to standard.

Joseph Brennan