[Mimedefang] watch-mimedefang

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 15:16:07 EST 2010

On 2/16/2010 1:37 PM, Cliff Hayes wrote:
> I can ssh from my windows instance of cygwin to the mimedefang server.  I
> also established a trust relationship by exchanging ssh keys.  I do that all
> the time to automate ssh tasks.  However, for cygwin, it keeps defaulting to
> my windows user and not "root" and that's the problem.

Are you doing this from one of the xterms that started when you did a
'startx'?  You shoud be the local windows user there.  And you probably
have to have run the mkpasswd and mkgroup commands as shown when you
installed cygwin so you'll have a home directory for the .xauthority  file.

> I can override it if
> I type out the ssh command at the command prompt (ssh root@<ip>) but when
> watch-mimedefang runs, it uses the windows user.

That doesn't make any sense if your ssh command actually worked - you
should be root on the remote side.  But either you have to permit
password based logins or you have to have set up the keys for the
windows user at your end and root at the other.  And you should add the
-P option to the ssh command line to make sure the X tunneling works.

> If I could figure out how
> to run cygwin with root user I think it would work.

I just did it on my laptop and it worked as expected - with the cygwin
side running as my windows user id but logged in as root on the server.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com