[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang and monit

mimedefang at rana.at mimedefang at rana.at
Tue Aug 10 10:20:52 EDT 2010

I'm using MIMEDefang and monit on Debian lenny, all up-to-date.

From time to time spamassassin, clamav and MIMEDefang stop working
without any hints in the logfiles.

After all I started using monit. No proplems with spamassassin and
clamav, but the MIMEDefang process wasn't started again.

The startup-script for MIMEDefang will start 2 processes, mimedefang
and mimedefang-multiplexor, and I believe, that's the problem, because
the mimedefang-multiplexor still keeps running, while mimedefang
crashed.

It seems to me that monit parses the output of the startup-script and
therefor doesn't restart MIMEDefang properly (manually restart or
stop/start no problem).

As I understood from the man-pages of monit, it first tries to stop
the process, than start it again, so something like:
  invoke-rc.d mimedefang stop    (Debian style!)
  invoke-rc-d mimedefang start
or
  /etc/init.d/mimedefang start
  /etc/init.d/mimedefang stop

If I do it manually (with killed mimedefang but running
mimedefang-multiplexor it shows the following:
   # invoke-rc.d mimedefang stop
   Shutting down mimedefang:     /etc/init.d/mimedefang: line 307: kill: (9820) - No such process /usr/bin/mimedefang: no process killed [FAILED]
   Shutting down mimedefang-multiplexor:                       [  OK  ]

I think the "[  OK  ]"-Message prevents monit to trigger the
start-up-script.

Killing both processes (and child-processes) make monit work like
expected.

monit-configuration for mimedefang:
    check process mimedefang-milter with pidfile /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.pid
        start = "/etc/init.d/mimedefang start"
        stop  = "/etc/init.d/mimedefang stop"
    if failed unix /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock then start

logentries:
   Aug  7 19:25:46 e1 monit[9355]: 'mimedefang-milter' process is not running
   Aug  7 19:25:46 e1 monit[9355]: 'mimedefang-milter' trying to restart
   Aug  7 19:25:46 e1 monit[9355]: 'mimedefang-milter' start: /etc/init.d/mimedefang
   Aug  7 19:25:46 e1 monit[9355]: 'mimedefang-milter' failed to start

Tried changing the monit-configuration to:
    check file mimedefang.sock with PATH /var/spool/MIMEDefang
      if changed timestamp then exec "/etc/monit/scripts/mimedefang-restart"

but that doesn't work either (reasonable):
   Aug  7 18:50:47 e1 monit[9119]: 'mimedefang.sock' is not regular file
   Aug  7 18:50:47 e1 monit[9119]: 'mimedefang.sock' trying to restart

Is there another idea without the possible rewriting of the
startup-script /etc/init.d/mimedefang  or does anyone have a working
configuration for monit and MIMEDefang (possibly especially for
Debian)?

Thanks in advance
Christian