[Mimedefang] Sendmail plugins [map,mbdb]

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at onet.eu
Tue Nov 24 17:01:03 EST 2009

"David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:
> Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
>
>> Have you used it for standard maps? (e.g. access or virtusertable)
>
> Yes.
>
>> YES => Have you tried to reduce (horrible) number of lookups issued by
>> "any map" sendmail.cf design?
>
> No.  But a socketmap lookup passed through MIMEDefang down into the Perl code
> is something like 10x to 1000x slower than a Berkeley DB lookup.
>
> (Side note: I'd love to see Sendmail support Dan Bernstein's "CDB"
> databases; our tests indicate they are much faster than Berkeley DB.
> Maybe that's a project for the future...)

Do not be "afraid" for more general goal: sendmail plugins [dynamic libraries]
There are two obvious "well fit" (well defined) functionalists:
a) map interface
b) mailbox databases interface

Taking a look at some "exotic" maps sendmail.org "refused" to include in
the code (e.g. mysql) it should be more cost effective way on long run
to "push" support for plugins first (IMHO).

P.S. Do *you* need plugins support on more than *one* platform? ;-)

[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at onet.eu
"Look! There! Evil!.. pure and simple, total evil from the Eighth Dimension!"
  -- Buckaroo Banzai