[Mimedefang] Problems with per-user SQL prefs with SpamAssassin

Hugh Messenger hugh.messenger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 12:48:20 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Hugh Messenger
<hugh.messenger at gmail.com> wrote:
> This may be a SpamAssassin issue, but I thought I'd start here.  Been
> banging my head on this one for two days.
[snip]
> [NOTE - in this log msg I added, I'm replacing newlines with ;'s in
> the prefs list, to make it printable in the log]
> Mar 18 13:38:29 pmx3 mimedefang.pl[12909]: config: got prefs text for
> hugh: whitelist_from <support at alaweb.com>;whitelist_from
> <opttag at optout.optout>;blacklist_from
> <root at pmx55.alaweb.com>;blacklist_from
> <sender at example.net>;whitelist_from
> <hugh.messenger at gmail.com>;whitelist_from <root at ns1.alaweb.com>;

Boy do I feel stupid.

The problem was staring me in the face the whole time.  I'd updated
our backend mailbox / webmail service, which is where my provisioning
grabs most of the user white/blacklist preferences from for poking
into the SA userprefs table.

Seems that they changed from using nochevrons at foo.bar as their
white/blacklist list address format to <chevrons at foo.bar>.  Which of
course SA doesn't like.

A simple change to my provisioning script to remove the surrounding
chevrons and Hey Presto, everything now works.

   -- hugh