[Mimedefang] Message header madness - was Re: SPF Usefulness (was Re: SNARE spam detection)

- kd6lvw at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 31 04:35:55 EDT 2009

Micro$oft Outlook Express makes it clear that it is to route replies to a mailbox other than the mailbox account that originated them - in its help section.

For Pine (unix environments), something similar is buried in that package's help text as well (at option "reply-always-uses-reply-to").

However, I do also note the problem you have stated regarding people thinking that something should be in the "Reply-To" header despite the fact it is optional and should be specified ONLY when the desired incoming mailbox is different from the "From" header mailbox.  Even on Usenet, there are people who use "Reply-To" specifying a mailbox under the reserved ".invalid" TLD and other values like "example.com".  If this is their only violation, their messages won't be marked as spammy -- but I stand by my view that a positive value (toward spaminess) should still be assigned when it is identical to the "From" header value.