[Mimedefang] smfi_register version mismatch (Sendmail configuration)

- kd6lvw at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 20 21:52:24 EDT 2009

--- On Mon, 7/20/09, Pierre Forget <pierre at pierreforget.com> wrote:
> In whatever I found on the subject on the Internet, you
> were right. But to add to the subject, here is a few
> comments:
>
> to be able to avoid the "infamous" "smfi_register version
> mismatch" at Mimedefang startup, and the following log in
> the logs:
>
> mimedefang: MIMEDefang-2.67: smfi_register: version
> mismatch application: 16777216 != milter: 16777217
>
> which means, in this case, that libmilter.a is not the same
> that compiled with sendmail.
>
> Solution to this is simply to compile manually libmilter.a
> by issuing the './Build' command in
> /usr/src/sendmail-8.14.2/libmilter,
> which then puts a version of libmilter.a in the source
> directory at:
>
> /obj.Linux.2.6.30.1.i686/libmilter/libmilter.a
>
> seems like sendmail doesn't compile what it don't need...

Note that there is one important thing about compiling libmilter:  It doesn't necessarily use the same settings for defines as the main sendmail program.  Here's (part of) my configuration for compiling:

APPENDDEF(`conf_libsm_ENVDEF',`-DLDAPMAP')
APPENDDEF(`conf_libmilter_ENVDEF',`-DNETINET6')
APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_ENVDEF',`-DDNSMAP -DMATCHGECOS -DNETINET6 -DMILTER')
APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_ENVDEF',`-DSTARTTLS -DMAP_REGEX -DSASL=2 -DLDAPMAP')
APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_LIBS',`-lcrypto -lldap -lpthread -lssl -lsasl2')

Note especially that IPv6 and LDAP support need TWO defines....

It is possible that there are other things that I don't use that also need to be defined more than once.