[Mimedefang] Macro Built-In Defaults / _ Macro Question

- kd6lvw at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 18:06:22 EDT 2009

--- On Thu, 7/16/09, Kevin A. McGrail <kmcgrail at pccc.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at the built-in Macros
> and the _ macro in the SendmailMacros hash looks like a
> possibility to replace doing a reverse lookup on hosts. The
> theory being (and someone else has mentioned this) that this
> portion of my reverse DNS check in the milter is duplicative
> of a reverse PTR lookup.
>
> Does anyone know the Macro that contains the IP and the
> reverse lookup for that IP from Sendmail?  Or is _ the
> best one and I should parse it for (.*)\s*[(.*)] or
> something similar?

${client_  ...}

client_addr     IP address
client_ptr      DNS PTR string
client_resolve  (OK, FAIL, FORGED, TEMP)

client_port     TCP port number
client_name     may be an address literal in brackets

It's more efficient to check these in the Sendmail M4 rules than to refer these to MimeDefang for simple checks.

See URL http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/chk-810.html for an example (titled "Unresolvable client address" near the bottom of the web page).