[Mimedefang] Disclaimers and MIME

renaud.pascal at atosorigin.com renaud.pascal at atosorigin.com
Tue Feb 10 06:45:39 EST 2009

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 02:17:16 -0800
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> --On Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:32 AM +0100 renaud.pascal at atosorigin.com
> wrote:
>
> >  Though, I suppose it'd be much easier to add a Mime-type: text/disclaimer
> > and make a standard that any disclaimer MUST be an attachment.
>
> Since the problem is legal, it might be better to append the laws requiring
> disclaimers to also require that they use this MIME type.

 Well, yes indeed. And we'll also introduce new milters managing a
recurrent problem that quickly turns most modern emails into an
undecipherable mess of top posted bad cuts entangled with two
dozens disclaimers all battling themselves in many colors and
each one shouting it's the only one that has to be read and obeyed.

 The new milter will quickly unfang this and in cases of abuse resort
to a simple:
'450 4.5.3. too many disclaimers at the moment, shot one an retry'

> This puts the
> burden on the lawyers and those who pay them, instead of letting them
> wiggle free because they use substandard mail clients. (You know, the ones
> that splatter HTML full of W3C violations that make spam filtering so hard.)

 agreed but it'll be just as hard to make them understand why HTML is
bad and why b0rken HTML is evil than to make them understand the
pros (none) and cons (all) of top-posting ;D)

--
(DYS)CLAIMER:
 My disclaimer is bigger than yours.