[Mimedefang] Re : UK legal disclosure legislation - footers on e-mail vs letters`

Paul Murphy pjm at ousekjarr.org
Thu Feb 5 18:19:33 EST 2009

David,

> I wonder if there's actually a law about normal mail correspondence
> requiring similar information on the letter?  (I mean, most people put
> it in as a matter of convention, but is it required?)

Yes indeed - the same EU directive (First Company Law Directive), which was
implemented into UK
law by The Companies (Registrar, Languages and Trading Disclosures)
Regulations 2006 (SI 2006/3429) added the requirement for e-mail and websites
to carry this info, as existing law has required business correspondence to
carry these details for all UK companies for some time.

See
http://www.kemplittle.com/PDFs/CC_DisclosureOfCorporateInformation_Feb07.pdf
for details, and a comparison of how this has been implemented in the UK,
Germany, France and Italy.

> How about phone calls?

Not as yet...

Best Wishes,