[Mimedefang] Email resend

Michiel Brandenburg apex at xepa.nl
Mon Dec 14 16:14:32 EST 2009

Cliff Hayes wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion :) I set up the ramdisk.
>
> The recommended 500M size killed my 2G server, so I'm using a 100M size now.
> I still think that's too big ... seems to be using about 3% of it right now
> (df command).
> How do I size the thing?  I can't afford to waste memory (what's new).  But
> if I make it too small, won't mimedefang crash?
If you are using a tmpfs ramdisk you will not waste memory. The more
data is written the more of your capacity will be used and memory will
be added dynamically (and freed when capacity not used anymore).

Make sure you have the swap to back up incase of memory starvation (ie
so your tmp will not wake up the OOM monster).

Usualy for every 1Mb of tmpfs I add I add 1Mb of swap, nearly never gets
used but diskspace is cheaper than RAM and at high memory usage (the
tmpfs will get swapped out usualy) the "ramdisk" performs slow but will
not crash ur system.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tmpfs for more info on Tmpfs, stay away
from the traditional ramdisks (just eating up ram and all, with no swap
backup).

Hope it helps
--
Michiel Brandenburg