[Mimedefang] mimedefang behavior pre-HELO and on incomplete connections

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 21:38:13 EDT 2008

On 10/26/08, David F. Skoll <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:

> But you can't do this:
>
>>  % "OK, it's been 30 seconds since you've seen my banner. Are you
>>  going to say HELO or what?"
>
> because Milter doesn't work that way.  Instead, set one of the confTO_XXX
> timeouts (as another poster suggested.)

Could I use signals to do this? Set a SIG_ALRM for 30s or something
when filter_relay is called, and catch the sig with a subroutine that
returns "GO AWAY"?

I'm trying to avoid sendmail configs, in part because I could use a
well written mimedefang filter w/ other mailers.

Question: when someone connects, filter_relay is called. When they say
HELO/EHLO, filter_helo is called. What happens to filter_relay at that
point if my filter_relay subroutine hasn't returned anything? Does
mimedefang just kill that subroutine? Or won't sendmail return a banner
until filter_relay returns?