[Mimedefang] Virus-scanning in calling sequence

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Thu Oct 16 13:33:20 EDT 2008

James Borland wrote:

> But I'm not comfortable running the much less thorough clamd without
> running uvscan, too. Just how "good" is clamd/clamav compared to
> uvscan?

We've been running for literally years now with nothing but ClamAV, and
I can't remember the last time we had an actual virus/worm/trojan arrive
via e-mail.

It's probably worth noting that we're using greylisting, though--virus
SMTP engines are still relatively primitive when it comes to retrying
after a tempfail, so the number of actual viruses that make it to clamd
is pretty low to start with.

----
Nels Lindquist
Morningstar Air Express Inc.