[Mimedefang] mimedefang behavior on RSET and multiple messages

Jan Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 25 03:27:12 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 05:24:12PM -0700, Kelly Jones wrote:
> How does mimedefang behave when the client sends "RSET"?
>
> How does mimedefang behave when the client sends multiple messages in
> a single SMTP connection?
>
> In both cases, does it create a new temporary directory, and basically
> treat the multiple messages (and/or whatever comes after RSET) the
> same way it would treat multiple SMTP connections?

Mimedefang behaves just like milter. In effect, filter_relay is only
called upon the initial connect, and not after RSET. filter_helo might
be called, or not at all.

A new subdirectory is created for every mail message (which is created
just before filter_sender is called). This is because subdirectories are
based on sendmail Queue IDs, and each e-mail has a new Queue ID, even if
processed in the same connection.

There is, as far as I know, no easy way to correlate filter_relay calls
and filter_helo calls with the other calls (except based on remote host,
which is not guaranteed unique).

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!