[Mimedefang] Can I defer or tempfail individual recipients?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Jun 20 12:48:06 EDT 2008

Delahunty, Mark wrote:

> Is id OK to return this, so sendmail tempfails an individual recipient,
> or is tempfail valid only for a message not a recipient?

In theory this will work.  For well-written SMTP clients (such as the
big 3 open-source UNIX ones), it will work in practice.  However, some
commercial SMTP clients have pooly-tested SMTP state machines and may
bounce an e-mail if *all* RCPT commands are tempfailed.  I'm also not
sure how carefully requeing is done if only a subset of RCPTs fail.