[Mimedefang] action_discard after action_bounce redudant? Also, adding headers for SA reporting?

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed Jul 30 12:33:19 EDT 2008

--On Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:52 -0500 Jason Rabel
<jason at extremeoverclocking.com> wrote:

> I noticed on quite a few occations that
> $RelayHostname (and also the variable if you read in at the beginning of
> the various filter subs) are not always resolving to a hostname when they
> should. I don't know if it is a bug in the code or it happens at a later
> step or what. But I overcame that by doing my own hostname lookup routine.

There are some conditions under which Sendmail won't supply the hostname.
Obviously, if there is no PTR record, but also, if there is a PTR record
but the name has no A record, or multiple A records.  Maybe you can give
some examples.

We check names in filter(), and $RelayHostname is always there then if
Sendmail supplies it.

Joseph Brennan