[Mimedefang] Trend Micro patent idiocy - and so it begins

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Wed Jan 30 13:43:27 EST 2008

What year on the prior art are you aiming for because I used to use this
Norton's product in 1997.  This was later renamed to SMTP for Gateways, I
believe.

regards,
KAM

http://www.symantec.com/about/news/release/article.jsp?prid=19970224_01

News Release
Symantec Ships Norton AntiVirus for Internet Email Gateways
Norton AntiVirus for Internet Email Gateways Provides Robust Anti-Virus
Protection for SMTP Gateways; Detects and Destroys Viruses Before They
Invade the Corporate Workplace
CUPERTINO, Calif. --February 24, 1997-- Symantec Corporation (Nasdaq: SYMC),
the world's leading supplier of utilities and anti-virus software products
today shipped Norton AntiVirus for Internet Email Gateways. This product
provides anti-virus protection for corporations using Internet e-mail based
on the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), by catching and destroying
viruses found in e-mail attachments before they invade corporate computer
networks. Norton AntiVirus for Internet Email Gateways provides an
unparalleled added level of protection at the Internet gateway.

"Norton AntiVirus for Internet Email Gateways addresses the growing need for
virus protection from Internet e-mail transmissions," said Enrique Salem,
vice president of the Symantec Securities and Assistance business unit. "By
detecting and destroying these viruses before the network is invaded, the
corporate workplace is ensured of protection. Our development of robust
anti-virus solutions such as Norton AntiVirus for Internet Email Gateways is
a serious commitment towards providing anti-virus protection to our
corporate customers at all levels of their network infrastructure."

Product Features
This latest addition to the Norton AntiVirus enterprise solutions is based
on the award-winning Norton AntiVirus engine. All SMTP mail passing through
the gateway must first pass through Norton AntiVirus for Internet Email
Gateways before it is allowed to fully cross into the internal corporate WAN
or LAN. Residing behind firewalls, Norton AntiVirus for Internet Email
Gateways is easy to configure through a graphical user interface (GUI) and
is transparent to users with no significant performance degradation to
networks. Norton AntiVirus for Internet Email Gateways offers these
additional unparalleled features:

  a.. Separate and configurable virus scanning policies for inbound and
outbound traffic -- allowing an administrator to set different levels of
protection for inbound and outbound traffic.
  b.. Provides unmatched scanning capability -- including the ability to add
a virtually unlimited number of user-specified file extensions, providing
more scalability and flexibility. When a virus occurs in a new file
extension, users simply add the extension in and Norton AntiVirus for
Internet Email Gateways will scan traffic that contains this file-type.
Norton AntiVirus for Internet Email Gateways also scans ZIP, UUENCODE and
MIME files, and finally, uses a multi-threaded scanning system to handle
multiple simultaneous requests.
  c.. All-in-one package -- complete with e-mail forwarding, attachment
decoding and virus scanning elimination.
  d.. Provides administrators with detailed logging capabilities --
including three options for administrators to handle infected files:
withhold, repair/remove, and pass-through administration and configuration
using an HTML-based graphical user interface (UI.)
  e.. Includes Symantec's patent-pending Striker technology -- for detecting
the dreaded polymorphic viruses. Striker technology employs a revolutionary
approach to the chameleon-like polymorphics. Each time Norton AntiVirus for
Internet Email Gateways scans the gateway, it sets up a "virtual PC." This
becomes a "clean room" in which Norton AntiVirus for Internet Email Gateways
safely executes the potentially infected file without endangering other
files.
  f.. Automatic and free virus definition updates -- provided from the
Symantec AntiVirus Research Center (SARC) without any interruption of daily
network.
About Symantec AntiVirus Research Center (SARC)
Norton AntiVirus for Internet Email Gateways is backed by the Symantec
AntiVirus Research Center (SARC). SARC is comprised of a dedicated team of
virus experts whose sole mission is to provide swift, global responses to
computer virus threats, proactively research and develop technologies that
eliminate such threats, and educate the public on safe computing practices.
As new computer viruses appear, SARC develops identification and detection
for these viruses, and provides either a repair or delete operation, thus
keeping users protected against the latest virus threats. These virus
definitions updates are available free of charge (other than normal phone
and Internet access charges) to users of Norton AntiVirus, and are easily
obtained by using LiveUpdate or Intelligent Updater.
Pricing, Availability and System Requirements
The Norton AntiVirus for Internet Email Gateways is available through
resellers in license packs of 50, 100, 500, 1000, and 5000. Using industry
standard configuration and pricing each license pack provides a license for
the number of PCs that will be supported by Norton AntiVirus for Internet
Email Gateways. Estimated street prices range from $1,499 for 1-500 users
per SMTP server to $5,999 for 1,001 users or more per SMTP server.

Minimum recommended system requirements include Pentium 133 MHz or above
CPU, Windows NT 3.51 or above, CD-ROM, 16MB RAM, 10MB hard disk space, 1GB
hard disk space for efficient server operation and TCP/IP connection.

About Symantec Corporation
Symantec Corporation develops, markets, and supports a complete line of
application and system software products designed to enhance individual and
workgroup productivity as well as managed network computing environments.
Platforms supported include IBM personal computers and compatibles, Apple
Macintosh computers as well as all major network operating systems. Founded
in 1982, the company's global operations span North America, Europe and
several fast growing markets throughout Asia Pacific and Latin America.
Information on the company and its products can be obtained by calling (800)
441-6054 toll free or visit our site at the world wide web at
www.symantec.com.

NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec
Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at
http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/ on Symantec's Website.

Brands and products referenced herein are the trademarks or registered
trademarks of their respective holders. All prices noted are in US dollars
and are valid only in the United States and Canada.