[Mimedefang] Trend Micro patent idiocy - and so it begins

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Jan 30 13:34:10 EST 2008

Nels Lindquist wrote:

> David, I seem to recall from the early days of MIMEDefang that you had
> originally wanted to call it MIMESweeper but changed it because of that
> other package.  Does that sound familiar?  Don't suppose you've still
> got a copy of that kicking around somewhere, eh?

I never had a copy of MIMEsweeper; I just found it by googling.  MIMEsweeper
still exists, but I couldn't find on their Web site how old it was.

> Anyway, if they're starting to go after commercial entities which use
> open source in this way, CanIt might get some notice before long. :-(

Happily... er, no... sadly, Roaring Penguin's revenues are far too low
to show up on litigation-happy radar screens.

> Maybe we can do something now to help prevent that eventuality.

Look for prior art.  As much as I don't like Barracuda, I am happy
that they seem to be having some success coming up with examples of
prior art.  I can only hope Trend Micro's patent is invalidated.