[Mimedefang] Multiple Milters w/ mimedefang

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Dec 5 17:11:40 EST 2008

Mike Weaver wrote:

> Are there issues one needs to be aware of when running multiple sendmail
> milters including mimedefang?  Are there 'housekeeping' issues like if a
> early milter say, in the data phase, rejects or discards a message due a
> particular header, what happens to mimedefang's 'state' when it's data phase
> calls are made?

The closest I've seen to an explanation is:

https://www.milter.org/developers/overview#ControlFlow

I don't think there are any particular housekeeping issues from MIMEDefang's
perspective.  If an earlier filter rejects the mail, then whether MIMEDefang
gets the data or just gets an xxfi_abort doesn't really matter --- it cleans
up either way.

If you'd rather not waste resources processing a message that has already been
rejected by an earlier milter, then you may be out of luck.  I don't know
an easy way to determine that.