[Mimedefang] all_spam_to and mimedefang - accessing envelope sender addresses

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Fri Aug 15 15:15:21 EDT 2008

"Mark G. Thomas" <Mark at Misty.com> wrote:

> - Be able to accept a whitelisted recipient copy, but still reject
>    for other recipients of that same message.

EHLO
MAIL
RCPT
RCPT
RCPT
DATA
.

The problem here is that you have to accept or reject per recipient
before you have the message.  Analyzing the message with filter()
and Spamassassin comes after the dot.  At that point you can only
accept or reject the whole transaction.

The big divide is whether the notify sender by rejecting, or notify
recipient by accepting and quarantining.  The latter makes possible
different delivery actions per user.  But it leaves senders thinking
mail went through to recipients who get so tired of spam that they
stop looking at their quarantine (and knowing what I have to look at
day after day, I don't blame them!).  Neither solution is ideal.

Joseph Brennan
Lead Email Systems Engineer

PS-- To your main question, I don't know how to give Spamassassin
the envelope recipients.  That would be useful sometimes.