[Mimedefang] pure whitelisting

jef moskot jef at math.miami.edu
Tue Aug 12 13:02:33 EDT 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Paul Murphy wrote:
> You need to read up on Perl string matching and regular expressions
> before trying to include such checks in your filter - it can be a
> minefield...

I've done a smallish amount of this and I completely agree.

I was prepared for most of the issues you brought up, but you had some
good tips there, thank you.

I actually found the error in a completely different place.  I had cut and
pasted something else I found which used "eq" instead of "=" on this
line...
my($sender, $hostip, $hostname, $helo) = @_;

That pretty much killed any chance I had of matching anything to anything.

I'd still like a way to actually peek at the variables to see if anything
bizarre is going on (it would have saved me a lot of time this morning),
but for now I'm moving on to other issues.

This also solves the nagging problem of my own notification messages
getting picked up as spam, due to their Subject lines (which I modified to
include the original subjects).

Thanks very much for your help.

Jeffrey Moskot
System Administrator