[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang drop mails into Maildir mailbox

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 18 03:34:51 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 09:06:36PM +0100, Jon Rowlan wrote:
> There is certainly a hell of a lot in there Jan-Pieter, as you say it
> does look like it requires a lot of hacking.

... only if you queue _via_ a maildir.

> What headers do I lose though?

None. You lose the envelope information. Specifically, the envelope
recipients: the real address the mail is going to. You'll have to
read up on how email works exactly if you don't know the difference
between headers and the envelope. RFC2821 and RFC2822 are the definitive
guides, but there might be more accessible sources available on the net.

> I have managed to simply copy INPUTMSG to a file that, by chown'ing I
> can load directly into Squirrel Mail (IMAP)
>
> I can read the message and see who it came from and reply.
>
> Am I missing something?

That will work. There is more than one way to do it. Since you've
created an account anyway for reading the email, you might as well
use that to simply copy the email there, by adding a recipient.

> I will never actually use the resulting email for anything other than my
> customers webmailing responses whilst their servers are down.
>
> And I will keep these pruned down to just a couple of days worth.
>
> Do I really need to worry about the headers? Or are Envelope headers
> something else??

Yes, see above. If you're only using this as an archive, or as a
way to read the queue, you don't need to worry about it.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!