[Mimedefang] Failures after upgrade to Perl 5.8.5

Stephen L Johnson stephen.johnson at arkansas.gov
Tue Nov 20 13:49:00 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 10:16 +0000, bob.gray wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am a new user of mimedefang, but have been delighted with it over the
> last two months. However, this weekend our Centos 4 servers received a
> Perl upgrade to 5.8.5, which caused mimedefang to stop working, indeed
> to stop sendmail operating at all.
>
> The maillog showed a couple of errors - "Slave 5 stderr Can't locate
> object method seek in File::Temp" and Slave 0 stderr: Can't locate
> object method "binmode" via package "IO::File".
>
> I thought I had the first one fixed after meddling with Perl modules.
> That got email running again, until I noticed the second problem, which
> only causes attachments to fail.
>
> Could anyone advise me on this?

This bit me this week-end in conjunction running Scientific Linux 5
(RHEL 5). Perl got updated and perl-MIME-tools
perl-MIME-tools-5.424-2.el5.rf (from DAG) got updated to. DAG got a
recent downgrade to the old version perl-MIME-tools which fixed the
issue (perl-MIME-tools-5.420-2.el5.rf). Original version was
perl-MIME-tools-5.420-1.el5.rf.

--
Stephen L Johnson  <stephen.johnson at arkansas.gov>
Unix Systems Administrator / DNS Hostmaster