[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang versus CanIt-Pro versus Barracudas?

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Thu Nov 29 22:51:20 EST 2007

On Apr 21,  4:13pm, Joseph Brennan wrote:
}
} CanIt, in order to apply rules per recipient, tends to fall into the
} recipient-burden side.  Like Mimedefang it can be customized not to

     This is only an issue for messages with multiple recipients.  The
vast majority of messages are single recipient and can be processed
directly.

} do this, but much of what you'd be buying is the per-recipient
} quarantine code.  Most days I think this is not the right way to go.
} Even so CanIt gets you some greylist and Bayes stuff that looks like
} it would be useful.  Check the pricing compared to Barracuda!

     Hard to do when CanIt prices aren't online.

} Another factor that influences me greatly is that with Mimedefang I
} can respond to anything our Security follks want us to stop.  It's
} just perl.  We can open headers, body, you name it, and look for
} any pattern in a message.  I would hate to lose that ability.

     Yeah, you can do pretty much anything with MIMEDefang without
having to roll your own milter (although I have done the latter).

}-- End of excerpt from Joseph Brennan