[Mimedefang] MIMEdefang and Spamd/Spamc

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Mon Nov 12 14:17:06 EST 2007

Rick Knight wrote:
> Also, it seems many
> of my rules are just being ignored, SARE rules in particular. Folks at
> the SpamAssassin site say I need to use Spamd to get full advantage of
> SA's rules.

I'm not sure what they think is missing.  AFAIK, you can use all SA
rules through MIMEDefang without running spamd, as long as you're aware
of a couple of config issues.

1. MIMEDefang will load its own sa-mimedefang.cf config file, which IIRC
disables a couple of SA features by default.  Just comment out those lines.
2. If you want to run network tests, you'll need to set
$SALocalTestsOnly = 0 in your MD filter.

Where are you keeping your SARE rules?  We've got ours in
/etc/mail/spamassassin here, and SA-through-MD loads them fine.

The main challenges I can think of to running SA through MD are these:

1. Since it runs as the server receives the message, you can't run
per-user settings without a lot of tweaking.
2. SA can't modify the message itself, so you have to implement any
changes in your MIMEDefang filter.
3. If you want SA to score on results from third-party tools that modify
headers, you need to either run them from another milter before MD, or
run them through MD and then add the header to the working copy of the
message.

None of these will change if you run spamd through MIMEDefang, though.
(Well, it might be a little easier to run per-user settings, but it'll
still require dealing with the multiple-recipient problem.)

--
Kelson Vibber