[Mimedefang] RBL and DNS lookups

Damrose, Mark mdamrose at elgin.edu
Tue May 8 17:27:02 EDT 2007

That's a bit like asking what's the "normal" color of paint for
a bedroom.  It is the choice that fits your circumstances.

> I'm sure there is pro's and con's and an accepted better way
> to do it...

Using an RBL at the sendmail is a yes/no proposition.  If you trust
the RBL enough to reject mail using the RBL as the only test, then
it is much less overhead to do it in sendmail.

If you want to have a rule that says reject a mail if two different
RBLs list it, or only test if other criteria match, then use MIMEDefang.

You could also enable network tests, and use several of the RBLs in
SpamAssassin.

It all depends on your goals, and what is "normal" for your particular
mail stream.