[Mimedefang] Truncated connections causing multiple resends onincoming mail

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Fri May 4 14:08:37 EDT 2007

On 4 May 2007 at 9:53, John Nemeth wrote:

>      So, you have a machine that costs $600 three years ago.  That
> means that it is cheap consumer crap.  You're not going to get an
> enterprise class server machine for that price (good quality hardware,
> hardware RAID arrays with good quality disks {SCSI or possibly SATA,
> but SCSI/SAS is still better}, ECC memory, proper backup systems;
> depending on your needs, things like redundant power supplies, etc).
> Many people go with cheap consumer stuff for servers and often get away
> with it; but, that doesn't make it right.

Wow.  I know this is totally off-topic, but, just...wow.

Except for the massive amount of disk space in my primary server (3TB),
I could easily have purchased the whole thing for less than $1000, and
yet it has an Intel brand server motherboard, and Intel brand hardware
RAID controller (SATA with battery backup), and Intel boxed 3.4GHz
processor, 4GB of ECC memory, redundant power supplies, a UPS good for
40 minutes of runtime...pretty much everything you list.  The major
components of this system (MB, RAM, processor, RAID card, drives, power
supplies) all have at *least* a three year warranty, with 5 on the
drives and lifetime on the memory.

Since it is in my home, I don't have anything like a generator (which a
commercial enterprise should have), but it's basically just a bunch of
what you would call "cheap consumer crap" that I put together from
purchases over the Internet.

Someday you need to check out the fact that the real world has long
since bypassed the "never get fired for purchasing IBM" mentality that
means you spend 10x what something should cost just for a warm fuzzy
feeling that doesn't give you any more uptime, or get you any faster
support or response (until you add on another 10x the price of the
hardware for a support contract).

--
Jeff Rife |

http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/BrokenInternet01.gif