[Mimedefang] Truncated connections causing multiple resends onincoming mail

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Fri May 4 12:09:36 EDT 2007

On Sep 24,  4:12am, "David F. Skoll" wrote:
} Kimmo Jaskari wrote:
}
} > Granted we're only talking
} > about a 440mhz UltraSPARC IIi here with half a gig of memory that I
} > probably should retire,

     Do you have a RAM disk?  A half gig of memory isn't enough for a
busy mail server.  By the time you factor in a RAM disk and bloated
perl processes, you will probably start swapping which will really kill
your performance.

} Wow!  For CAD $600, you can get an AMD64 box at a couple of Ghz with
} 1GB of RAM.  Time to upgrade!

     Yes, but this will be cheap consumer level equipment.  Not
something that I would consider appropriate for a mission critical
enterprise server.  That costs more money.

} Apparently not. :-(  Clamd is hungry...  You really don't want to run
} a production MIMEDefang setup on such an underpowered machine.

     I do it on a machine with 336 MHz Ultrasparc II's.  Of course,
having eight of them along with 5GB of memory certainly helps things.

}-- End of excerpt from "David F. Skoll"