[Mimedefang] SpamAssassin and using a local SpamHaus zone DNS server

Michael Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Thu Mar 29 10:38:53 EDT 2007

Generally not being the kind to ditto, but ditto.  We've
been using spamhaus, we've had two complaints (in both
cases the machine was righteously listed), and we're
considering moving spamaus to the outer zone---sendmail,
not optional.   My boss also said "how much."

It's good to hear other's experiences match our own, since
it will make removing the "option" easier to defend should
there be complaints.

Mike

--
Michael D. Sofka
Sr. Systems Programmer, Postmaster pro tem

==============Original message text===============
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:00:50 EDT Jim McCullars wrote:

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, -ray wrote:

> to say that we use spamhaus as a dnsbl in sendmail to outright block IPs
> on the Spamhaus SBL/XBL list.  In over 2 years and a few 100k messages a
> day, I think we've had 2 complaints.  And Spamhaus is the ONLY list i
> trust as a sendmail dnsbl.  Others may have a different experience, but

   Yes, we have been using them as a sendmail dnsbl for some time also,
and with very good results.

> we've had very good experience from Spamhaus.  When they wanted to start
> charging for the service, my boss simply said "How much? Pay them."

   I became aware that I needed to start subscribing to their service
after seeing some traffic in the hied-admins mailing list.  My boss had
exactly the same attitude.

Jim McCullars
University of Alabama in Huntsville