[Mimedefang] Re: Revisit: Filtering on HELO

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Mon Mar 26 14:40:33 EDT 2007

Hi there,

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 Jeff Rife wrote:

> I've tested things like this before by running them before the virus
> and spam filtering but after everything else, and have found that
> the following catch only around 5% of what was left, which just
> isn't enough to be worth the time:
>
> - non-resolvable HELO argument
> - sender e-mail address doesn't exist (using callback to check)

And that last one seems to very badly implemented by most that use it.
They rarely give our servers the time to make our own checks before
they give up and decide that we're not going to reply.  That means
that I can't send mail to lists hosted by SourceForge, for example.

(Has this thread not exhausted everyone yet? :)

--

73,
Ged.