[Mimedefang] Renaming attachments in multipart messages

Karl Boyken boyken at divms.uiowa.edu
Thu Mar 15 09:48:31 EDT 2007

> All messages with attachments are multipart (unless it's uuencoded, but
> that's another whole kettle of fish).
>
> As an example: a typical message with attachment will be
> multipart/related.
>
> The multipart/related body will have two parts - multipart/alternative
> and the attachment.
>
> The multipart/alternative body  will have two parts - text/plain and
> text/html.
>
> Mimedefang will call filter_multipart for the multipart/related and the
> multipart/alternative, and will call filter for the text/plain,
> text/html and the attachment.
>
> You need to test in filter to see if this is an "attachment", and then
> call action_defang.

Thanks, Mark.  I guess what had me confused is the call to
filter_bad_filename inside filter_multipart in the stock
mimedefang_filter.  I don't understand why that would be there.  If you
have something with a bad filename, it would seem to me you might want
to action_defang the thing, but you can't do that inside filter_multipart.

Karl

--
Karl Boyken, system administrator
karl-boyken at uiowa.edu
303A MLH, Dept. of Comp. Sci.
http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~boyken/
The U. of Iowa, Iowa City, IA  52242   319-335-2730 (voice)
319-335-3668 (fax)