[Mimedefang] OT - MS Exchange 2003 SP2 and greylisting

Yizhar Hurwitz yizhar at mail.com
Sun Jun 17 15:37:43 EDT 2007

> Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:27:41 -0400
> From: "Kevin A. McGrail" <kmcgrail at pccc.com>
> Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] OT - MS Exchange 2003 SP2 and greylisting
>
> We have a server just patched to SP2 having issues with Merak's Greylisting
> implementation as well.  This fits with your discussion notes below because
> it looks like a pre-DATA phase greylisting technique.

Fixing your own server using the workarounds is quite easy once you are
aware of the problem.
This is not an Exchange forum so I won't go into details, but they are
described at my other posts.

> Is there any sign that Microsoft will patch ...
Well, there is a dim sign that MS will eventually understand +
acknowledge + fix this bug,
but we can gamble about the time frame.
I bet on October 2007 (and I'm optimistic in nature...).
But if/when they will publish an article and hotfix, there will still be
some/many affected systems out there for a long time.

This bug was discovered and published (by the community) at 2006 Q1,
and after a 1.5 years it got as far as MS PSS second level support - not
even to the development team.
When I talk to them they say that they must be able to reproduce it first.
If you can help them reproduce the problem - then go ahead and call PSS,
the fix will come faster.

> or does this effectively kill
> RCPT TO level greylisting?

I guess not, as this is a bug at the sender side.
But I think that if you use greylisting, you should be aware of that bug.

Yizhar Hurwitz
http://yizhar.mvps.org