[Mimedefang] OT - MS Exchange 2003 SP2 and greylisting

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Sun Jun 17 12:53:48 EDT 2007

On 17 Jun 2007 at 10:27, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> Is there any sign that Microsoft will patch or does this effectively kill
> RCPT TO level greylisting?

My guess at this point is that Microsoft's suggested patch is called
"Exchange 2007", since Exchange 2003 SP2 is now over 18 months old.

But, I don't think it kills greylisting, since you can just choose to
ignore people who let Exchange talk directly to the Internet.  From
early versions up through today, it has repeatedly failed to follow
even the most basic of RFCs.  The "no retry on tempfail" bug referenced
in SP2 had also appeared in various forms in all previous versions of
Exchange (not always because of tempfail at RCPT, either).  Because of
this, security holes, and other bugs, every sane Exchange admin has
their system set up so that Exchange neither directly receives from nor
directly sends to the Internet.

--
Jeff Rife | "I'm worse than Hitler?!?"